What causes ulcers?
Ulcers are open sores caused by a range of goldfish diseases. Poor water quality, parasite and infection of a wound can create the ulcers. The bacteria responsible is Pseudomonas and Aeronores.
Minor scratches can become infected when the water quality is poor.
What are the symptoms?
|Pink-white open wounds, often with a white edge and sometimes followed by secondary infections.|
How to cure ulcers?
Firstly, you must test the water parameters and determine ammonia and nitrite levels. You need to do a 40% water change, remember to de-chlorinate the new water you add in.
A common treatment is Malachite Green or Acriflavine that you add in the water to combat the bacteria. Depending on the severity of the ulcers, you may need to anaesthetise your goldfish and apply an antiseptic to the infected area. Maintain a water temperature over 70oF.
Another treatment would be to clean the sore once with either 3% Hydrogen Peroxide or Iodine and apply triple antibiotic creme. Feed Medigold. Dip the fish in Tricide Neo dip or Neocide 3.
Ulcers are often caused by parasites and it's good to use a salt treatment that usually kills Ich or similar parasites.
How to prevent ulcers?
Maintain a high quality water. Make sure your goldfish don't get injured and keep an eye open for parasite diseases and symptoms.
Love to you,