Anchor Worm Disease
What is Anchor Worm and what caused it?
Anchor worms are parasites that infect the fish. In fact they are small crustaceans that burrow themselves into the fish. The damage weakens the fish and opens it up for new diseases or a secondary bacterial infections.
Caused by newly added fish already carrying the parasite or newly added plants that can have larvae on them.
What are the symptoms?
|Very visible parasite attached to the body of the fish. It will look like a worm hanging off the side of the fish and leaves a red sore where it's attached. Your fish will try to scrach the parasite off its body.|
Click image to enlarge.
How to cure Anchor Worm?
Since there are free swimming larvae in your aquarium or pond, the whole body of water must be treated.
- Remove them by hand using tweezers, grip as close to the wound as you can
- Potassium Permanganate(PP) dip at 100mg/ 2.5 gallons of water. Dip fish for 25 minutes. Remove goldfish if it becomes stressed
- Transfer fish to clean and add fresh water
- If you decide to treat the entire tank, add 2 mg of potassium permanganate to every liter of aquarium water
- You can also use medications like Dimilin or Anchors Away
- Salt can help as well. Use 1-2 tablespoons per 5 gallons. Do water changes every day for 1 week. Keep adding 1-2 tablespoons of dissolved salt into your aquarium
How to prevent Anchor Worm?
Quarantine all new fish or plants before adding them to your tank. Maintain a high quality water and feed fresh food.Good Luck!
Recommended MedicineHere you can find the medicine listed above. Click the image to find how you can purchase the desired medicine.
Love to you,